Stephenson County Probation
The Stephenson County Probation Department of the 15th Judicial Circuit
in the State of Illinois is under the supervision of the chief judge of
that circuit. The function of the probation department has three main
service areas: the court, the client and
The probation department's first priority is to the courts, by providing
direct supervision to the clientele, by preparing written investigative
reports to the court and by informing the court of the client's performance
while under supervision or probation.
In providing direct supervision to each client, the department assesses
the needs for each individual and matches the intervention to their
needs. By treating each client with respect and dignity the probation
officer is better equipped to assist them in goal setting by increasing
motivation to obtain stated goals and overcoming the barriers to success.
The role of the probation department within the community consists
of keeping abreast of best practices in the field of community corrections
and applying them to the individuals that remain part of the fabric
of the community. By developing policy and practices that adhere to
the research and collecting relevant data to guide decision making,
the probation department is able to provide efficiant, cost effective
services to address reoffending behavior and promote public safety.
15th Judicial Circuit
Stephenson Counties Probation Departments
The mission is to promote positive long term behavioral change utilizing
proven methods to increase public safety.
We strive to create a system of community corrections in which:
• Offenders take accountability for their behavior and enhance
their skills to lead a law abiding life.
• Victims of crime are ensured a voice and receive reparation.
• Community resources match the needs of the offender and are
grounded in evidence based principles and practices.
• Our communities benefit from reduced recidivism and confidently
invest in the criminal justice system and its necessary resources.
• We utilize effective assessment tools and adopt a philosophy
that individuals receive services according to their needs
To reach our vision and accomplish our mission, the probation department
is guided by the following values and beliefs:
• As Officers of the Court, we are held to a higher ethical standard,
and we take responsibility for treating employees, victims, offenders
and all others with dignity and respect in all interactions.
• We value our commitment to public safety and public service.
• We believe in people’s ability to change behavior and
provide a safe environment for teaching and learning to occur.
• We believe that building on the strengths of offenders creates
a basis for positive growth and change.
• We value teamwork and cooperation through partnerships with
all justice and community stakeholders.
• We adopt a philosophy of data driven decision making to enhance
program effectiveness and ensure cost efficiency.
• We respond to the directives of the local judiciary and State
of Illinois Courts.
• We develop and maintain a philosophy of empowerment through
partnerships with the community and the client.
Stephenson County Probation Department
15 N. Galena Ave.
Freeport, IL 61032
8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Monday - Friday